Women peacemakers born today
- 1935 Ellen MOXLEY born in Nanjing, China. Scottish citizen, ; Quaker pacifist; zoologist, Alternate Nobel Prize Right Livelihood 2001, Gandhi Peace Prize . Worked with Friends in Vietnam; took part in Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament protests; founded Dunblane Peace House, 1987; tried and acquitted for damaging British Trident Plowshares nuclear weapons facility Maytime, Loch Goil, Scotland, 1999. Recipient of Right Livelihood award, 2001; awarded Gandhi Peace Prize, 2004.
- 1960 Daryl HANNAH born in Chicago, IL. Film star, Actress; eco-activist who has protested whaling, logging, sexual slavery, Amazon oil; jailed for farm protest; did participated in civil disobedience in Los Angeles against Iraq War, Los Angeles, 2006; arrested 2006, 2009, 2011.
- 1980 Zlata FILIPOVIĆ born in Sarajevo. Wrote Kept diary of Bosnia War, 1991-3 entitled Zlata's diary. “Why is politics making us unhappy, separating us when we ourselves know who is good and who isn't?"
Women's peacemaking on this day
- 1851 Nonviolent abolitionist educational pioneer Myrtilla Miner est. established teachers school for BlacksAfrican-Americans, Washington DC (photo 1850s wiki pd).
- 1909 10,000 women marched to NY City Hall in garment strike.
- 1918 Carrie Chat 's came up with the idea of League of Women Voters as “service a "service to welfare of humanity”humanity."
- 1970 Debra Sweet spoke truth to Pres. Nixon: “. "I can’t believe you’re sincere in giving this award for service, when you’re killing millions of people in Vietnam.”"
- 1982 UN General Assembly passed resolution on Participation of Women in Promoting Peace.
- 2003 Mano River Womens Peace Network (MARWOPNET) awarded UN prize for human rights (photo Marwopnet).