Women peacemakers born today
- 1893 Dorothy DETZER born Ft. Wayne, IN (d. 1981). WILPF National Secretary 1924-46; organized post-World War WW I Quaker relief to Austria and Russia; lobbied against arms makers and military training; advocated for women in international organizations.
- 1901 Kothainayaki AMMAL born Chengalapattu, Tamil Nadu (d. 1960). Author of 115 novels; playwright; classical singer and composer; editor; speaker; supporter of Vinoba Bhave's nonviolence efforts. Indian freedom fighter; Gandhian follower; twice imprisoned, once for eight months.
- 1954 Medha PATKAR born Bombay, India. Gandhian; nonviolent protester against Narvada dams; 1986 march ; fasts and fast for life. , 1986; recipient of Alternate Nobel Prize, 1991.
Women's peacemaking on this day
- 1896 Ghanaian womenswomen's nonviolent protest, Accra.
- 1914 Aleta Jacobs proposed women's peace conference which led to the creation of WILPF.
- 1954 Rosa Parks started bus boycott in "The Decisive Arrestthe decisive arrest" of the Civil Rights movement (photo wikicom pd).
- 1985 Melbourne women begin began two-week vigil at US Consulate against US war machine.
- 1990 Five women and one man arrested in Gulf War protest at Westover Field, Chicopee, MA.
- 2001 World Satyagraha for Afghan women ; 4000organized by Emma Bonino; 4,000+ women fast; org. by Emma Bonino.fasted.
- 2006 Sonia Sanchez and Grannies for Peace tried for Philadelphia protest.