peacemakers born today
- 1893 - Dorothy DETZER born today Ft. Wayne, IN. WILPF National Secretary 1924-46; organized post-WW World War I Quaker relief to Austria and Russia; lobbied against arms makers and military training; advocated for women in international organizations.
- 1954 - Medha PATKAR born Bombay today. Gandhian nonviolent protester against Narvada dams; 1986 march; fasts for life. Alternate Nobel Prize 1991.
Women's peacemaking on this day
- 1896 Ghanaian womens' nonviolent protest Accra.
- 1914 Aleta Jacobs proposed women's peace conference which led to WILPF.
- 1954 Rosa Parks started bus boycott in ”The "The Decisive Arrest” Arrest" of Civil Rights movement (photo wikicom pd).
- 1985 Melbourne women begin two week vigil at US Consulate against US war machine.
- 1990 Five women and one man arrested in Gulf War protest Westover Field, Chicopee, MA.
- 1997 37 Sudanese women arrested in Khartoum for silent march against the draft.
- 2001 World Satyagraha for Afghan women; 4000+ women fast; org. by Emma Bonino.
- 2006 Sonia Sanchez and Grannies for Peace tried for Philadelphia protest.