Women peacemakers born today
- 1864 Marion WALLACE-DUNLOP born Inverness, Scotland (d. 1942). Artist; militant suffragist, twice arrested, 1908, 1909; first British hunger strike lasting 91 hours; arrested for smashing windows, 1911.
- 1915 Edith WYNNER born Budapest (d. 2003). Pacifist leader, Campaign for World Government; aide to Rozika Schwimmer; author of study of international organization.
- 1929 Barbara Marx HUBBARD born New York, NY. Futurist; recipient of Peacebuilder Award, 2005; Soviet-American Citizen Summits, 1980s; 1984 vice-presidential candidate proposed White House "Peace Room".
- 1932 Maj Britt THEORIN born Göteborg, Sweden. Founder of World Women MPs for Peace, 1985; UN delegate, 1976-94; International Peace Bureau president, 1992-2000; member European Parliament, 1999-2004; Swedish Minister of Disarmament.
- 1945 Barbro SUNDBACK born Ǻlands Islands. Finnish legislator, vice-president Nordic Council, 2005; founded Ǻlands Peace organization, 1992; opposed Iraq War, nuclear weapons.
Women's peacemaking on this day
- 1913 Kasturba Gandhi released after 3 months in prison. (Great March photo S. Af History)
- 1913 Valliamma Mudaliar, age 16, arrested in Gandhi's nonviolent protest Pietermaritzburg.
- 1955 Dorothy Day convicted of failure to do air raid drill.