Breaking News

Error rendering macro 'rss' : Failed to recover from an exception:


Topic editor

[This article has been tagged for development.]


Leptophos is a highly toxic organophosphate pesticide that is no longer registered for use in the United States and its health effects result from cholinesterase inhibtion (#Scorecard and #INCHEM). It is absorbed dermally, through inhalation or ingestion and, like most Pesticides, is most dangerous to the workers who handled it (#INCHEM).


Just the facts

Physical Information

Name: Leptophos

Molecular Formula:

Synonyms: Phosvel, Phosphorothioic acid, phenyl, O-(4-bromo-2,5-dichlorophenyl) O-methyl ester

Use: pesticide (discontinued)

Source: synthetic chemistry

Recommended daily intake: none

Absorption: dermal, inhalation, ingestion

Toxicity/symptoms: highly toxic

Regulatory facts: discontinued

Chemical Structure


Chemical Description

Leptophos is a stable white solid at room temperature


Leptophos was discontinued for use in late 1975 due to its high toxicity (#Spectrum Labs). Prior to its discontinuation it was used on maize, vegetables, and cotton and it often worked best at high temperatures (#INCHEM).

Health Effects

The health effects of leptophos are consistent with other Organophosphates.

Environmental Effects

Highly toxic to most species and it is bioaccumulative.

  • No labels