Breaking News

Error rendering macro 'rss' : Failed to recover from an exception:


 Lead Editor

Steven G. Gilbert
Lead Author:
Kaitlin Mallory
Managing Group:
Chemicals Group

Just the facts

Physical Information

Name: Disulfoton

Use: pesticide

Source: synthetic chemistry

Recommended daily intake: NONE

Absorption: ingestion and inhalation

Sensitive individuals: children

Toxicity/symptoms: vomiting, convulsions, diarrhea, drooling, fatigue, difficulty in breathing, possible death

Regulatory facts: Spills over one pound must be reported to the EPA

Environmental: can naturally decompose in soil over a long period

Chemical Structure


Chemical Description

Pure disulfoton is a colorless, odorless liquid; as a pesticide, though, it is dark yellow, with an aromatic smell.


Used as a pesticide against aphids, leafhoppers, beet flies, thrips, coffeeleaf miners, and spider mites (#Pesticide Information Profile - Disulfoton).

Most commonly used to protect corn and other farm crops, but occasionally used on garden plants or against mosquitos in swampy areas. Marketed under the names Di-syston, Disystox, Frumin AL, and Soilvirex (#ToxFAQs - Disulfoton).

Health Effects

Exposure in smaller doses may result in fatigue, sweating, tearing, or salivation (#Pesticide Information Profile - Disulfoton).

High levels of exposure to disulfoton can be harmful to the nervous system. Symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, tremors, convulsions, narrowing pupils, difficulty in breathing, and possibly death (#ToxFAQs - Disulfoton).

Chronic low levels of exposure through food and water sources may result in nearsightedness (#ToxFAQs - Disulfoton).

Animals that have ingested high levels of disulfoton can also experience damage to the nervous system, with symptoms similar to those listed above (#ToxFAQs - Disulfoton).

Environmental Effects

Disulfoton usually enters the environment through the soil or water, but will eventually decompose through bacteria and chemical interactions. Fish, however, can accumulate disulfoton (#ToxFAQs - Disulfoton).


Disulfoton is in Toxicity Class I, signifying that it is highly toxic.

Pesticide formulas with greater than 2% disulfoton are classified as Restricted Use Pesiticides (RUP), making them available only to certified applicators (#Pesticide Information Profile - Disulfoton).

Environmental Protection Agency recommendations state that disulfoton contamination in drinking water should not exceed 3 parts per billion for children, or 9 parts per billion (ppb) for adults. Over a lifetime, average contamination should not surpass 0.3 ppb (#ToxFAQs - Disulfoton).

Disulfoton spills of a pound or greater are required to be reported to the EPA. (#ToxFAQs - Disulfoton).

External Links

* - Disulfoton

*Scorecard - Disulfoton

*Pesticide Action Network (PAN) - Disulfoton

*Effects of disulfoton on pets from

*EPA Integrated Risk Information System - Disulfoton



Extention Toxicology Network. Pesticide Information Profile - Disulfoton. (1996). Accessed 06-07-07.

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Agency for Toxic Substances & Diseases. ToxFAQs - Disulfoton. Accessed 06-06-07.

Chemical structure retrieved from Pesticide Action Network (PAN) - Disulfoton. Accessed 06-07-07.

  • No labels